The best way to fight COVID-19 (Coronavirus) is to avoid getting infected and optimize the Immune Function
Art of Healing Cancer (AOHC) under the mentorship of Dr. Mandeep Singh Malhotra, presents science behind strengthening your Immune system, which further helps in our fight against some of the deadly viruses like COVID-19. Basis his research he suggests, deficiency of some of the basic Minerals and Vitamins compromises our Immune function and hence makes it easier for these viruses to attack our body functioning in the backdrop of weakened immune system.
Below are the Pharmacological and Dietary interventions which could help in prevention of COVID-19 at large:
Vit D1: It supports production of antimicrobial peptides in the respiratory epithelium and help to reduce the inflammatory response to infection with SARS-CoV-2. Majority of us are deficient in Vit D hence Vit D levels should be Checked and normalized aggressively following which maintenance dose is 60,000 IU every week should be maintained.
Vit K2: Covid-19 causes blood clotting and leads to the degradation of elastic fibers in the lungs. Vitamin K is good for our blood vessels, bones and probably also for the lungs. It is in spinach, broccoli, green vegetables, blueberries, all types of fruit and vegetables. It’s also present in abundance in Dutch cheese and Japanese fermented soya. The recommended dose is 120 micrograms for adult males and 90 micrograms for adult females.
Vit C3,4: It is important for body’s immunity both innate and adaptive. It help WBC’s to function and reach the site of infection; it stabilizes the linings of oral cavity, oropharynx and respiratory mucosa making it difficult for virus to enter our body and is also a potent antioxidant.
A prominent researcher on Vitamin C; Dr Carr recommends increasing the daily intake of Vit C to 2 g/d for an average adult. Liposomal form of Vitamin C has better bio availability. The recommended prophylactic dose should be increased to 3 – 4g/d in elderly, smokers, diabetics, immunocompromised, people who get frequent colds, provided Kidney/renal function test are normal.
In case of symptomatic COVIS-19 patients Vitamin C should be given as IV doses. There are multiple clinical trials going on across the world recommending high doses such as 24g IV vitamin C for symptomatic COVID positive patients.
Zn5: Zn possesses antiviral activity through inhibition of SARS‑CoV RNA polymerase. It decreases the activity of angiotensin‑converting enzyme 2 (ACE2), known to be the receptor for SARS‑CoV‑2. It up regulates interferon α production and increasing its antiviral activity. It possesses anti‑inflammatory activity by inhibiting NF‑κB signaling and modulation of regulatory T‑cell functions that may limit the cytokine storm in COVID‑19. It reduces the risk of bacterial co‑infection by improving mucociliary clearance and barrier function of the respiratory epithelium. Daily dose required upto 75 g/d
Selium6:Selenium is another important element in protecting our body against viruses. Present research has found patients from Selenium rich areas have done 5 times better than those from Selenium deficient regions. Fish, Meat, Cereals and Brazil Nuts are good source of Selenium. Average daily dose should be 100 mcg/d, it should not exceed 400 mcg
Curcumin (Turmeric/Haldi)7: Curcumin acts by inhibiting the entry of virus to the cell, inhibiting encapsulation of the virus and viral protease as well as modulating various cellular signaling pathways. Most Active for is Nano Curcumin tablets
Ashwagandha8,9: Ashwagandha, contains some natural biochemical compounds which can work the same way as other anti-coronavirus drugs. The use of ayurvedic medicines in some cases is also being studied for its prophylactic use and hence, has been termed as an anti-viral remedy.
- World J Crit Care Med 2017 Feb 4; 6(1) :85-90
- https://www.spandidos-publications.com/10.3892/ijmm.2020.4575 .
Black Pepper1: According to a study published in the journal of Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, black pepper has antioxidant, antimicrobial, and gastro-protective properties that help in building up the immunity–especially when it comes to our throat.
Cloves1: Clove also seems to have similar properties as suggested by a study published in the Journal of Immunotoxicology which claims that consuming whole cloves can help boost the immune system. Plus, the spice has benefits for your oral health.
Ginger3: Ginger has Immunomodulatory, Anti-Inflammatory and Anti-Oxidative Properties
Cinnamon4: Cinnamon has Anti Inflammatory properties and protects against various chronic diseases
Garlic5: Aged Garlic modifies Human Immunity through its Anti Inflammatory Properties
Peppermint2: Improves breathing relaxes bronchial muscles
Neem7: Neem Regulates the Immune System by balancing Th1/Th2
Tulsi6: Antioxidant properties of Tulsi Helps in body’s defence against viruses
Vitamin A (Found in Cod Liver Oil)8: Vitamin A Regulates Body Immunity
Omega 3 fatty acids: They play a role in increasing the immunity and stabilizing
Probiotics9: In form sachets or capsules e.g. Sporolac, Darolac etc plus, supplements like Yakult, Curd are necessary for gut flora and play a role in preventing COVID diarrhea and protecting the gut mucosa
Based on the above information Dr. Mandeep Singh Malhotra recommends:
- Get a Baseline CBC, KFT, LFT: Basis results speak to your doctor and Optimize accordingly, e.g. if Anaemic then correct it
- Check Lipid Profile, RBS and HB1AC for diabetics: Basis results speak to your doctor and take corrective next steps
- Any specific ailments like Arthritis, Cancer etc seek specialist opinion
- Baseline Vit D: Optimize the levels if compromised. Speak with your doctor
- Check for Qualitative G6PD Enzyme Test: It should be assessed so in case needed, IV Vitamin C as a option can be considered
- Stop or limit Immune Suppressing lifestyle habits like Smoking, High cholesterol food etc.
Prescription for Pharmacological Immunoboosting
- Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid or Sodium Ascorbate tablet): 500g x 4 times a day or two sachets of Liposomal formulation(total dose of 2g/d for average adult with normal KFT)
- Vitamin D: 60,000 IU every week if levels are normal
- Vitamin K: 100mcg OD or it can be supplemented by diet
- Zinc in form of Zn + Vitamin B Complex in form of Zincovit or Zevit, etc once daily + Tb Zinconia(Zn only ) 50 mg once daily
- Selenium Tablet: 100mcg once daily
- Curcumin: (nano curcumin formulation is preferable) 1 grams once or twice daily
- Vitamin A: In form of Cap Aqusol A thrice weekly or Cod Liver oil capsule once daily
- Probiotics like Yakult or sachets like Darolac/ Vizylac/ Sporolac, etc
- Add cloves, black pepper, cinnamon, ginger, garlic, neem, oregano and peppermint to the daily diet.
Dr Mandeep S Malhotra
Sr Consultant & Dept Head for Head Neck & Breast Cancer Oncology
Fortis Hospital, Vasant Kunj